My DotKlok

Hey, I got so exited about the DotKlok that I decided to build my own! As it’s quite difficult to buy one from here (I live in Florian贸polis – Brazil), and to pay U$150 for the Kit wouldn’t work for me… So I want to build a good looking clock for my room, which I only have my computer and mobile as clock.

First of all, I needed to buy the 24×16 Led Display from Sure Electronics, which I found for a good price at eBay (little cheaper then buying from the Website).

I just got back from the gym when the board arrived from the post office, as you can see by my face:

Then I got the PCB from Dorkbotpdx, which came really fast and with really good quality, as you can see in the image below, and the board is dark purple, really cool!!

So here is the clock working:

My next step is to add a LM35 temperature sensor to it and learn the code so I can make my own effects. I will also disable some effects that it’s too hard to read like in more code, not really useful.

If you want to build your own, you should check http://www.technoetc.net/dotklok/ for instructions, code, design and everything else you may need.

Keep posted for my new mods for this amazing clock.
Thanks 馃槈

9 comments on “My DotKlok

1. Helena March 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Muito bom! Deu vontade de aprender eletr么nica s贸 pra montar um desses! =)

2. Helena March 27, 2011 10:08 pm

E esse display de LED seria 贸timo pra programar com o game of life… Claro que pra isso quanto maior o display, melhor. O 煤nico problema seria entrar uma configura莽茫o inicial do jogo. Ou j谩 program谩-lo com algumas configura莽玫es iniciais interessantes e s贸 deixar a op莽茫o de mudar entre elas.

Ah, gostei do teu blog (desnecess谩rio dizer, n茅?) =)

3. DanielAndrade March 27, 2011 11:14 pm

@Helena Obrigado 馃檪
    O game of life da pra fazer tranqulo nesse display! Depois vou tentar implementar nele, mas ainda quero colocar o sensor de temperatura junto com o rel贸gio! Vamos ver, o que falta mesmo 茅 tempo!

^^

4. Andrew O'Malley March 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Nice job! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Cheers from Canada,
    Andrew

5. Sergio March 29, 2011 12:36 am

Wow!! curti o seu Arduino, muito bom mesmo!!! Parabens!

6. Angelo December 10, 2011 3:34 pm

can i do that without the pcb part…. i mean… with only the dot connected directly on ard. board ???

7. DanielAndrade December 10, 2011 6:35 pm

@Angelo Yes you can, the PCB only makes it easy to connect everything together! 馃檪

8. gabriel November 27, 2012 3:37 pm