HowTo: Make Your Own Metronome

November 1, 2007

Hello there! It’s been a while that I don’t post any electronic HowTo. Since I started electric engineering my life have been quite busy, studying a lot, but some days ago I have made a simple project in which I created a metronome using some simple parts you can find in any electronic shop. And I decided to share with everyone this blog. So if you are interested, so let’s start!

Hmm, what is a Metronome?
A metronome is any device that produces a regulated audible and/or visual pulse, usually used to establish a steady beat, or tempo, measured in beats-per-minute (BPM) for the performance of musical compositions. It is an invaluable practice tool for musicians that goes back hundreds of years.” (text from wikipedia, click here to read more about metronome)

Material Needed: (I’m linking components to wikipedia, if you want to know more about them)

1. 555 IC
  2. 3x 1K Ohm Resistor
  3. 2x 22uF 16V Capacitor
  4. 9V Battery
  5. 8 Ohms Speaker
  6. 250K Ohms Potentiometer

Tools:
The tools depend in what way you want to assemble the parts. Right now my project is assembled in a BreadBoard. In some days I’ll but my metronome in a small board, and then it will be soldered using some TIN and a Soldering Iron. (If you want to know more about soldering, you can look HERE and HERE).

Now the scheme:
To build your metronome, you have to follow this scheme:
esquema.png

Pictures and Videos:
The circuit I made isn’t so beautiful right now, but it will be cute as soon as I assemble it in a read boar, then I will update this HowTo.

After you have all assembled, just turn on your circuit and you will see and hear the beats, where you can set different speeds by chancing the resistance from the 250K potentiometer. Now grab your guitar, or whatever you play and go practice with your new metronome. ;)

I hope you could understand my HowTo, if you have any question, just post a comment with the form below.
Thanks for readying!

Although 642-901 is not a difficult course, people still delay it until after 70-431 as well as 70-620. Only after SY0-101 is their concept disabused.

Category: Electronics, Engineering, Hardware, Howto

82 Comments

1. Danny Antakli — November 1, 2007 @ 5:22 pm

good thing, but you can’t never have a 200 ohm cap.

2. Danny Antakli — November 1, 2007 @ 5:24 pm

oh yeah and you don’t change the value on the cap. you change it on the pot

3. Electronics-Lab.com Blog » Blog Archive » Make your own Metronome — November 1, 2007 @ 6:15 pm

[…] your own Metronome- [Link] Tags: 555, metronome, Timer Filed in […]

4. Paul Anderson — November 1, 2007 @ 6:54 pm

Oddly enough, you can have a 200 ohm cap :P It could refer to a couple different measurements, for example the reactance. Xc=2pifC, (IIRC), it depends chiefly on the frequency.

5. HOW TO - Make your own Metronome — November 1, 2007 @ 8:03 pm

[…] Daniel has a great how-to on making your own metronome – Link. […]

6. Sam — November 2, 2007 @ 2:09 am

Neat metronome…
    I only have one nitpick about your guitar playing: Try to not have your pinky tucked in all the time (my music teacher is always on my case about the same thing).

7. Pasteler0 — November 2, 2007 @ 11:42 am

@Danny Antakli: Thanks man! My mistake, of course you can’t have 200K Ohms capacitor, :) Just fixed.

@Sam: yeah! I don’t really play guitar in like 2 years :) But thanks for the tip :)

8. OptimusTronic — November 2, 2007 @ 5:32 pm

Excelent! good cicuit.

9. things to look at (November 3rd - November 4th) | stimulant — November 4, 2007 @ 10:35 pm

[…] HowTo: Make Your Own Metronome at pasteler0 […]

10. Roy Vanegas — December 7, 2007 @ 1:35 pm

hi daniel,

i’ve been wanting to make a few metronomes for friends for a while, and found your tutorial in my search. great job. and thanks.

cheers,
    roy

11. brandonman — January 12, 2008 @ 5:35 pm

nice job! I noticed Iron Maiden: The Trooper. Good song, fun to play too.

12. HOW TO - Make your own metronome — January 16, 2008 @ 6:12 pm

[…] Hmm, what is a Metronome? “A metronome is any device that produces a regulated audible and/or visual pulse, usually used to establish a steady beat, or tempo, measured in beats-per-minute (BPM) for the performance of musical compositions. It is an invaluable practice tool for musicians that goes back hundreds of years.HOW TO – Make your own metronome – Link. […]

13. paulk — January 18, 2008 @ 4:19 am

thank dude,i made my frist metronome with no skill in this feild at all and with about 40$( that inculeding the wire kit and bread board) plus abut 5 hours looking at your fuzz and one sized pic.
    I me a noob, so the diagram was basicy unless.
    i toke some CLEARer pic hehe; i hope to sent them in.(flicker i think)
    I think i used less wires then u, now i need to learn how to sodera little board.

14. Sid — January 31, 2008 @ 6:52 pm

I have an electronic drum machine (Boss DR-220A) and am interested in this project to use as a foot operated ‘trigger’. (it is hard to turn the drum machine on and then start playing my guitar) The drum machine accepts a 5v signal (beat) that triggers the rhythm pattern to play.
    I think I could use your circuit with no speaker – just run that output into the drum machine with a footswitch to start/stop. I wonder what voltage is coming out of this circuit (to the speaker) or if I should use 4.5 volts (two 1.5v batteries) to power this to get closer to 5v out at the speaker. Or perhaps it does not matter…
    If any of you have advise/suggestions, I appreciate hearing them!
    Sid

15. Alphan — February 1, 2008 @ 9:13 pm

Thank you very much!

By the way, this is the first working circuit I built which has a speaker on it but no microcontroller :)

16. UHHHHHHHHHHH — April 16, 2008 @ 12:00 am

WOW That… Is… AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I did that, but I screwed up the wireing 3 times until it worked!!!!! Although, how can you change the sound affect??? : )

17. UHHHHHHHHHHH — April 16, 2008 @ 2:14 am

I made It it is awsome!!!

18. UHHHHHHHHHHH — April 16, 2008 @ 7:12 pm

REPLYYYYYY

19. UHHHHHHHHHHH — April 16, 2008 @ 7:13 pm

please????

20. DanielAndrade — April 17, 2008 @ 9:31 pm

Well, it’s a bit harder to make it sound in a different way using this scheme. If you would like to learn more, you could make one using a Arduino. Then you can make any sound from it! :)

21. Rodrigo — April 23, 2008 @ 3:34 pm

Daniel, vc poderia me dizer cmo eu identifico o numero das pernas do CI? d qual ld começa a contagem?

22. DanielAndrade — April 23, 2008 @ 10:06 pm

Hey rodrigo, you can identify where the IC pins “start” by looking for a semi-hole on the top. You can follow this example: http://www.orgonecentral.com/zapperguide/555pins.gif

23. Rodrigo — April 24, 2008 @ 6:42 pm

thanks..I asked cause Im going to make a circuit for it..thanks again

24. Cal — April 24, 2008 @ 8:04 pm

Hi, im a AP Physics student in my high school and we have to build something for a end of the year project. I decided to build a metronome and found this page during my research. It is the best how to by far i found but i cant find anywhere that explains exactly what the different parts do (i know that the resistors make resistence and V=IR and that stuff) but like how they function together to make the variable speed metronome would be a great help to me. So what im asking is maybe if you had some extra time could send me and e-mail or post a thread or something going into more depth than just the circut setup i would be very very very grateful. You can put in as much depth as you want or as time allows, anything will help. But dont forget i am still a high school student. Much thanks.

25. Cal — April 24, 2008 @ 8:09 pm

I think to be a little more specific i wanted to know how you put it together from scratch, why did you connect this to that and whats it fuction as, etc, and how you knew to put it there

26. DanielAndrade — April 25, 2008 @ 12:45 am

@Rodrigo, good luck man! :P

@Cal Yes, I think I have a good .doc file explaining how things work there. If you want, just send me an email from CONTACTS.

27. cal — April 28, 2008 @ 3:35 pm

hey just checking up on the e-mail making sure there wasnt a sending problem or something. Ill be waiting, thanks.

28. Electronics-Lab.com Blog » Blog Archive » Make Your Own Metronome — April 30, 2008 @ 7:48 am

[…] Make Your Own Metronome – [Link] […]

29. Name Please — May 1, 2008 @ 9:41 pm

The Arduino Sounds interesting, would it cost alot?

30. DanielAndrade — May 2, 2008 @ 1:05 pm

Arduino isn’t exencive! Take a look here http://www.arduino.cc

31. vincent — May 4, 2008 @ 10:56 pm

Or use PICAXE, it’s much cheaper than Arduino! :)

32. DIY Zagranica :: Metronom | Elektronika - schematy elektroniczne — May 22, 2008 @ 8:51 pm

[…] Źródło: http://www.danielandrade.net/2007/11/01/howto-make-your-own-metronome […]

33. Beck — May 26, 2008 @ 12:24 am

Hey! I’m in a similar situation as Cal. I’ve actually alreay built the circuit but I’m having a hard time making it work. If you can send me that .doc file too, it would be great! Thanks!

34. V — May 30, 2008 @ 10:35 am

eh so umm how about not audion metronom..i mean with leds only :D is it possible??

35. Elektronik - Pic - CCS C » 555 Devreleri — June 7, 2008 @ 5:21 pm

[…] Müzikle uğraşanların olmazsa olmazlarında olan, sabit aralıklarla temp üreten metronom devresine ait detaylar burada. […]

36. Ronnie O — July 8, 2008 @ 4:42 pm

Please send me the doc you talked about. I don’t see the LED’s in your schematic. Also, there are two capacitors in your schematic but only see one capacitor in the photos. What’s up with that?

37. ripperb — July 19, 2008 @ 5:45 am

It is fine if you want to do it for fun… but with about 10$ you can buy a digital metronome, with much more precision… ;-)

38. Asfastasdark — August 7, 2008 @ 3:59 am

Hello… I was wondering if you had a multimeter and could check something for me. When no sound is coming out of the speaker, is the Voltage at pin 3 0?

39. DanielAndrade — August 7, 2008 @ 7:39 pm

Asfastasdark, I can’t do it right now, but when I connected the output to the oscilloscope, the sound happens when the signal goes down or up.

40. Stefan Vorkoetter — October 1, 2008 @ 11:56 am

The schematic as shown doesn’t oscillate with a 50% duty cycle, meaning that one LED is on for slightly longer than the other. Of course, this is only noticeable at very high tempos. For example, when the 250K pot is down to 1K, one LED will be on for twice as long as the other. There’s a circuit in the 555 datasheet that shows how to make it oscillate with exactly 50% duty cycle regardless of the frequency.

41. Simple Metronome Project | Electrical Circuit Project — November 23, 2008 @ 4:33 pm

[…] [link] […]

42. Simple Metronome Project | electronic circuit project — December 1, 2008 @ 2:43 pm

[…] Ohm Resistor 3. 2x 22uF 16V Capacitor 4. 9V Battery 5. 8 Ohms Speaker 6. 250K Ohms Potentiometer [link] This entry was written by admin, posted on December 1, 2008 at 10:43 am, filed under OTHER […]

43. José Neto — December 4, 2008 @ 1:10 am

Hi!!! very good!! I am Brazilian and I liked project… I made it and functioned!!! great!!! thank you guy!! mail me!!! God bless you!!!!

44. Herberth — December 9, 2008 @ 3:27 am

Hello everybody, I’ve built the PCB this metronome, if anyone wants it please contact me
    [email protected]
    greetings from El Salvador

45. danj0 — December 29, 2008 @ 6:57 am

what if i decided to put a volume knob for the speaker? how should i do it?

46. Vignesh — January 28, 2009 @ 2:01 am

Hey this metronone is pretty slick!!!I’d like to try it but i’m not good at reaing schematics so can you please upload the .doc file or send it to me please

47. Vignesh — January 28, 2009 @ 8:54 am

PLEASE!!!!

48. Vignesh — January 28, 2009 @ 8:46 pm

PLZ!!!!

49. DanielAndrade — January 30, 2009 @ 10:56 pm

@Vignesh, I don’t have the file with me, but what you can do is take a look on how the IC 555 work, that’s a good beginning. =)

50. nigvesh — March 1, 2009 @ 7:49 am

Hi, will these capacitors be OK? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270279772936&cguid=33507e2d11f0a0e203410041ff601354

51. nigvesh — March 3, 2009 @ 4:31 pm

Please answer :), want to complete this circuit. You’ve been a great help so far.

52. DanielAndrade — March 5, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

@nigvesh, sorry for the delay, yes, they will work =)

53. rhys — April 13, 2009 @ 3:11 pm

hey this is really good, but im struggling to work out what holes each component goes into? im not clever enough to work it out from the diagram :p

54. Bishwo Shrestha — May 21, 2009 @ 5:03 pm

Thanx for the circuit. It was perfect for me. Simple, Cheap.

55. Ramos — July 1, 2009 @ 12:06 am

Hi! I’ve just built this scheme and it worked, but I got a little problem. I’ve got one led lit all the time. I mean, there would be only one led lighted on each beat of the speaker, but there is one always on (the onde between 9V and the 3 pin node) and the other goes on and off at each beat. Would you give me some help?

Can i use another pot value? I couldn’t find the 250k ohms around here, only the 330k ohms. Cant I use a lower value, like 150k or some comercial value around this point and associate with a static value resistor? Or just use a lower value pot without association?

By the way, thanks for the project! It’s going to be very helpful for me.

56. ram — September 20, 2009 @ 6:40 am

hiiiiiiii

57. Andries — March 11, 2010 @ 7:29 pm

Hi, I am living in Holland and saw your metronoom and i like it.
    Did you have a drawing of the PCB?
    Thanks in advance!

Andries teunissen

58. DanielAndrade — March 12, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

@Andries Sorry, I have not made one for this project!

You can try Eagle Cad and make your own, it`s fun! :)

59. chiropractic falls church — May 12, 2010 @ 5:06 am

60. paul — June 10, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

hey, good work.
    can i use this circuit without teh LEDs?

61. DanielAndrade — June 17, 2010 @ 10:19 am

@paul sure! =P

62. Carl — August 10, 2010 @ 10:31 am

May I know which pin of the 555 goes to the ground? Is it pin 2 or pin 1?

63. abdullah aydoğan — August 18, 2010 @ 11:53 am

this is great! thanks for everything… :D

64. Garrett — October 15, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

Any particular reason you chose an 8 ohm speaker?

According to this website:
    64 ohm is the minimum…

65. Kurt — October 16, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

Hey i’m currently building this but the potentiometer when i change the setting up or down causes my 555 chip to blow is there anything i can do to adjust this i.e. an extra capacitor or resistors… thank you

66. Szabi — January 25, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

Nice! It would be work with 12 V “battery”?? Or what need to change in this schematic to able to that??

67. CowJam — May 17, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

I put one together this evening. Your circuit diagram is great but the breadboard layout isn’t.

Great little project, thank you.

68. Dr. Joe Howard — May 31, 2011 @ 2:12 am

This circuit is incomplete, and DID NOT work when i tested it. Please correct so others do not suffer through the frustration that i went through.

69. DanielAndrade — June 11, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

@Dr it is NOT incorrect! :0)

70. Andres — August 16, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

how could I use it with headphones?
    Thanks

71. DanielAndrade — August 16, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

Sure you can!

72. Wonda Pettrey — August 31, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

Which is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions might be this varied. Thank you for all the enthusiasm to provide such beneficial information here.

73. Rombus — November 11, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

This schematic it’s not wrong, but you need to connect pin 1 to ground for this to work. And the schem omits de pin number, so it’s easy to omit that connection and have no sound.

74. ET — February 7, 2012 @ 5:55 am

Hi :) Great project. THX. I’m working an a simple design interaction project and I was wondering if someone can help modifying the circuit for my needs. (This circuit is as close as it gets to what I need) I need the metronome to work as a audible clock making the “TIC TOK” sound in a one sec. intervals. and every one hour (3600 sec. or 3600 TIC and TOKs) a LED should work for one min. (60 TICTOKs) and be turned off. The 2 LEDs in this projects are not needed. Can it be done with this circuit? Thanks all, ET

75. Silviu — February 8, 2012 @ 6:29 am

Is there a problem if I use 1k8 or 1k2 resistor instead of 1k? thx

76. Daniel — February 10, 2012 @ 6:55 am

Hi I am going to make this circuit but i am also going to put a headphone jack in. How could I do this?

77. kyjo — February 14, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

Hi,
    how can I do it with one double color diode? is it possible?

78. David — February 16, 2012 @ 6:03 pm

Hello Daniel,

Appreciate your ‘How To’ on building your own metronome on http://www.danielandrade.net/2007/11/01/howto-make-your-own-metronome/.
    I need to put this to a slightly different use as explained below.

Being a musician it is obvious that you are aware of the importance of proper timing. I am a steel guitarist and I play in a classic country band. What I want to build is a SILENT metronome (LEDs only), but a little different than any I’ve seen. My idea is to build it basically as you have diagramed, but without the speaker (or put a potentiometer in line with the speaker so as to be able to silence it when performing for an audience) and incorporate 3 or 4 output jacks on the unit. These output jacks would be standard 1/4 inch phone jacks so standard guitar cables of different lengths could be used to connect the remote units to the controller. The idea is to be able to make separate enclosures which would be located primarily at the drummer’s location and the bass guitar since these are the instruments responsible for maintaining a steady beat. These LED units should flash simultaneously so as to provide a timing mark for each musician’s location and I would prefer to use 10MM LEDs to make them more visible. Also, these could be ‘daisy chained’ as long as there is no difference in the times at which the LEDs flash.

I have a block diagram to illustrate what I’m trying to describe but unable to post it here.

So, what I’m curious about is whether your current schematic would be adaptable to such a project, or would it take something different.

Looking forward to hearing from you and keep up the good work! You’ve provided a lot of fun and useful projects on your web pages.

David Black Sr.

79. vijiselvi — March 18, 2012 @ 5:39 am

i dont know to play the music instriuments so shall i put any music for that the ckt vl work ………….ple help me

80. Circuito impreso para metronomo : Circuitos Impresos — July 2, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

[…] original: Daniel Andrade var conveythis_src = "en";translationAKPC_IDS += "3964,";Popularity: 1% […]

81. Gamini Singh — August 29, 2013 @ 6:35 pm

Hi Daniel, thanks a ton for the circuit, very helpful. Could you please tell me that how did you select the value of the resistor/capacitor/potentiometer/speaker etc. What I am trying to ask is that how did you know that 1kohm resistor or 22uF resistor has to be used. Are the values decided by trial and error or is there some other mechanism based on calculations? Please help, thanks again. :)

82. Daniel Andrade — August 29, 2013 @ 8:17 pm

Hey Gamini, what you can do is take a look on how the 555 IC works. It’s configured as a astable circuit, that will oscillate with the frequency of the RC constant. You can get more info on how to calculate all the parameters here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

TrackBack URL