10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10

November 10, 2007

Ubuntu is a very complete OS, especially the Gutsy Gibbon (7.10), but there are still make tweaks you can do just after installing it that will make Ubuntu shine like never. I will explain here some things I do just after have ubuntu installed. Remember that what I’ve written here are the best things to install for ME, you may consider not making some of them or installing many different things, but if so, please, share your wisdom with us all. :)

1 – Expand the Software Repository List

First of all, lets make ubuntu “see” more packages:
    Load Synaptic, go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager. There, click in the menu Settings -> Repositories. In Ubuntu Software mark these repositories that will be accessed from the Internet:

Canonical-suported Open Source software (main)
    Community-maintained Open Source software (universe)
    Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted)
    Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse)

screenshot-software-sources.png

After you have selected the new repository list, I suggest you go to the Terminal and type:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Now all your programs will run on the last version.

2 – Have more fun with Compiz

Now you should install advanced graphics settings for compiz. By default, Ubuntu only let you choose from None, Normal or Extra Compiz graphics configuration. To make it more configurable, you can write on the Terminal:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager gnome-art usplash startupmanager

screenshot-compizconfig-settings-manager.png

3 – Installing packing software

It’s bad when you don’t have Internet on your computer/notebook, but you have to pack/unpack something but the file format isn’t recognized by the system. To prevent from this bad situation, you can install a bunch of packing software by typing this on the terminal:

sudo apt-get install unace rar unrar zip unzip p7zip-full p7zip-rar sharutils aish uudeview mpack lha arj cabextract file-roller

4 – Installing More Fonts

Here you will find a bunch of fonts you can install on your system, but remember that you don’t need to install all of them

mkdir mkdir -p /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

sudo apt-get install ttf-larabie-straight ttf-larabie-deco mplayer-fonts xfonts-terminus-dos xfonts-terminus xfonts-terminus-oblique xfonts-mona tv-fonts ttf-tuffy ttf-sjfonts ttf-sil-padauk ttf-sil-ezra ttf-paktype ttf-georgewilliams
    ttf-fifthhorseman-dkg-handwriting ttf-farsiweb ttf-essays1743 fonty ttf-opensymbol ttf-nafees ttf-mgopen ttf-gentium ttf-freefont ttf-dustin ttf-devanagari-fonts ttf-dejavu-extra ttf-dejavu-core ttf-dejavu ttf-bpg-georgian-fonts ttf-bitstream-vera ttf-alee

Yes, it’s a big code, but you can just copy/paste it. :)

5 – Multimedia

To have ubuntu playing all kinds of stuff, you need to install many codecs. So on the Terminal, type:

* Installing vlc and mplayer (playis almost everything):

sudo apt-get install vlc

or

sudo apt-get install mplayer

* Common packs

sudo apt-get install mpeg2dec a52dec vorbis-tools id3v2 mpg321 mpg123 libswfdec0.3 libflac++6 ffmpeg cdda2wav toolame libmp4v2-0 totem-mozilla libmjpegtools0c2a tagtool easytag id3tool lame lame-extras nautilus-script-audio-convert mozilla-helix-player helix-player libmad0 libjpeg-progs libmpcdec3 libquicktime1 flac faac faad sox toolame a52dec ffmpeg2theora libmpeg2-4 uudeview flac libmpeg3-1 mpeg3-utils mpegdemux

* Gstreammer 0.10

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegdemux gstreamer0.10-gl gstreamer0.10-gnonlin gstreamer0.10-pitfdll gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-farsightgstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-sdl gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-schroedinger gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse totem-gstreamer

* More programs

sudo apt-get install gstreamer-dbus-media-service gstreamer-tools

* Flash

sudo apt-get install gsfonts gsfonts-x11 flashplugin-nonfree

6 – Installing Java

Java is a very important thing to install, now that many programs like Azureus need it to run. So type:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
    sudo apt-get install equivs ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-sazanami-mincho

7 – Frontend FTP Software (Filezilla)

This ia great FTP program, very complete, in my opinion, the best one for linux. To know more about it, click here.

On the terminal type:

sudo apt-get install filezilla filezilla-locales

8 – BitTorrent Client

screenshot-deluge.png

* Deluge: Written in python, great one:

sudo apt-get install deluge-torrent

* Azureus: Uses Java to run, very complete but a bit heavy,

sudo apt-get install azureus

9 – Installing Gparted (Making disk partition easy)

You never know when you will need to change your disk partition, so you better be ready anytime by installing Gparted,
    a great GUI software where you can easily create, resize and format partitions on your hard disk.

sudo apt-get install gparted
    screenshot-dev-sda-gparted.png

10 – Get rid of unneeded stuff:

If you want to keep your Ubuntu clean, you may consider uninstalling a bunch of software that comes with. I can’t tell much what to remove then,
    but you can check and see what you will not use. Then to remove, on terminal, you can type:

sudo apt-get remove "program name"

Now I believe your Ubuntu Linux will be almost ready to deal with anything. Hope you enjoyed this guide, and please, share your linux wisdom with us on the comments below.

After 1Y0-259, you can continue studying by doing 70-536, or you can gain some work experience as required by 642-825. Later you can go for 640-863 as well.

Category: Howto, Linux, Software, Ubuntu

98 Comments

1. ZoneDate.com — November 10, 2007 @ 3:47 am

You’re complicating things. Here’s the short-version, three simple steps for us newbies:
    #1 Visit http://www.getautomatix.com/ , download and run Automatix so you can skip steps numbered 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 since Automatix will do all of it for you automatically. You just select everything you want installed and let it do everything for you.
    #2 Use the GUI/Menus instead of Sudo… Click Applications, Add/Remove Applications, Search for “compizconfig”, select it, then install and run it.
    #3 I suppose one could follow step #9 and/or #10 if needed.

Compiz + Compizconfig is a nice combo but it would be even nicer if someone would make an Automatix-like installer-app for automatically installing and configuring “Mac OS X”-like docks such as Kiba-Dock, Cairo-Dock and/or AWN.

2. meneame.net — November 10, 2007 @ 4:56 am

10 cosas que hacer inmediatamente después de instalara Ubuntu 7.10

Ubuntu es un sistema operativo muy completo, especialmente el Gutsy Gibbon (7.10), pero aún hay algunos truquillos que hacer después de instalarle que harán brillar a Ubuntu como nunca. Un artículo útil para todo geek que gusta de mover "las …

3. Xipietotec — November 10, 2007 @ 10:04 am

Most of these steps are way easier to do with synaptic, also you can skip the whole codec portion just by installing

(x/k)ubuntu-restricted-extras

Likewise this leaves out adding the medibuntu repository and getting dvd playback.

likewise, the -y option is not something that you should have newbies getting in the habit of doing….especially with apt-get because this can cause breakage.

4. Xipietotec — November 10, 2007 @ 10:06 am

Oh, and for the person who suggested automatix. Be aware that automatix can also cause breakage, and is unsupported. If automatix breaks something in your system Ubuntu help members will direct you to automatix, often in the automatix IRC chatroom, people there will then deny that automatix ever broke anything, and refuse to help you.

5. DanielAndrade — November 10, 2007 @ 10:15 am

Xipietotec I agree with you, I’ve just removed the -y from the blog post. Greetings

6. Maarten Kooiker — November 10, 2007 @ 2:39 pm

Actually (K)Ubuntu is quite easy now on installing codecs. If it is missing while you’re surfing the internet, it will install automatically in two clicks, so don’t bother about these anymore….
    Cheers,
    Maarten

7. toe_head2001 — November 10, 2007 @ 4:31 pm

Hey, what about Avant Window Manager!

8. Samer Azmy — November 10, 2007 @ 5:03 pm

Guys,
    he is not making things complex, he is just a shell guy
    I prefer using shell over Synaptics
    Samer
    geek2live.blogspot.com

9. Jeff’s Home - 10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10 — November 10, 2007 @ 5:13 pm

[…] read more | digg story […]

10. Blogueando en Internet: Semana veinticinco » Blogueando con Francesc Josep — November 10, 2007 @ 5:31 pm

[…] 10 cosas que hacer justo antes de instalar Ubuntu 7.10 (en inglés) […]

11. Kevin — November 10, 2007 @ 5:36 pm

There should be a script installed on the desktop that does most of this. Linux is a pain in the ass sometimes!

12. My View » Ubuntu extras — November 11, 2007 @ 10:53 pm

[…] Ten Steps […]

13. Patrick C. — November 11, 2007 @ 11:34 pm

Just install things as you need them. What’s worse is that many of these steps are redundant (packages in the last few steps depend on packages in the first few steps, so why manually install both!?).

For example, “totem-mozilla” is a Mozilla browser plugin for embedded multimedia. You need this to view videos (non-flash) and mp3s on websites. However, if you go to a website without this installed, Firefox does its regular “I need a plugin, somebody help me!” thing. If you click on that puzzle piece or the bar up top, it opens up Synaptic, and offers to _automatically install whatever packages you need_.

Anyhow, if you really want to achieve a similar effect without the hassle of following the steps on this list, open up a terminal (for those of you with terminal-phobia, trust me–this is the best way, and all you have to do is copy/paste and go have a cup of coffee) and do
    “sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras totem-mozilla deluge helix-player helix-mozilla p7zip-full gstreamer-plugins-*”

Other points:
    -You don’t need FileZilla if you’re a casual user: Just type ftp:// into Nautilus, and like magic, you’re browsing a remote filesystem through FTP as if it were local, with a nice, familiar GUI and everything.
    -Amarok is a wonderful media player (I use it on all of my KDE systems) but it’s stupid to install on a Gnome system, now that Exaile is mature enough. Instead, sudo apt-get install exaile.
    -It’s redundant to install VLC and MPlayer. They’re both the same kind of player and neither of them use the GStreamer libraries, which means extra dependencies and a waste of space. ubuntu-restricted-extras will get you whatever codecs you need.
    -Ubuntu _comes_ with fileroller. Why the hell are you installing it?
    -Multimedia codecs are fantastic, but why would you list out each and every codec you want to install if you want to grab all of them? Isn’t it much easier to “sudo apt-get install gstreamer-plugins-*”?

You really don’t need GParted (I rarely repartition from an OS running on the local HDD, most people don’t need it). I’d trim down your list so it’s actually “Ten things to do after installing Ubuntu” rather than “Ten Things I Do After Installing Ubuntu.”

14. Thongs to do after installing Ubuntu 7.10 « Xntric pundits — November 12, 2007 @ 6:55 am

[…] clipped from http://www.ovelha.org […]

15. Eric Hanson — November 12, 2007 @ 8:33 am

One work: Amarok
    More words: The best damn music player and manager out there. iTunes doesn’t hold a candle.

16. Post-Ubuntu 7.10 Configuration Article… « Linux Free Trade Zone — November 12, 2007 @ 9:30 am

[…] Post-Ubuntu 7.10 Configuration Article… Posted on November 12, 2007 by symbolik Found this on Tag Surfer:  “10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10″ […]

17. hobosarestinky — November 12, 2007 @ 11:27 am

minor edit
    to get deluge you have to hit

sudo apt-get install deluge-torrent

it wont recognize just “deluge”

18. Ubuntu 7.10 Kurduktan Sonra Yapman?z Gereken 10 Kurulum — November 12, 2007 @ 12:38 pm

[…] <kaynak> […]

19. Pasteler0 — November 12, 2007 @ 1:26 pm

@hobosarestinky, thanks, you’re right! :)

20. ZoneDate.com — November 12, 2007 @ 2:53 pm

I haven’t experienced issues with Automatix, so I’ll just say that it worked for me but (apparently) YMMV. For example, I disagree with many apps recommended by many people. I don’t like FileZilla – I prefer gFTP. Also, I miss iTunes despite having tried Amarok, Banshee, RhythmBox AND Songbird. I *do* use StreamTuner daily, though.

21. Mackenzie — November 12, 2007 @ 4:28 pm

ZoneDate,
    Try Exaile. It’s like a GTK+ Amarok that’s themeable. In Exaile-land, themes don’t change colors, they change layout, so you can make a theme to arrange everything how you want it.

22. rob — November 12, 2007 @ 4:55 pm

I don’t understand how synaptic is ‘easier’ than copy/pasting into the terminal and typing your password. I can see it being easier if you are manually compiling those lists — but since he already went through the trouble of giving you the command why complicate it by doing it the long way.

23. links for 2007-11-12 » a big guy in a big city — November 12, 2007 @ 6:18 pm

[…] 10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10 at pasteler0 (tags: ubuntu linux tips install setup configure hacks) […]

24. Greg — November 12, 2007 @ 9:18 pm

In step 4 code – why is the make directory command repeated? You have:
    mkdir mkdir -p /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 …

etc.

Also, for fonts – I really prefer to understand what exactly I’m getting. For example, to bring up the much praised and much maligned Automatix – it installs tons of fonts along with the Microsoft fonts. Many of the other fonts are amusing/whimsical, but also take up quite a bit of space (I don’t know how Gnome deals with caching them).

25. Dave Nofmeister — November 12, 2007 @ 9:28 pm

I laughed….I cried….I saved $200 from using Linux instead of Windows!

Thanks for the wonderful heads-up.

26. links for 2007-11-13 « Donghai Ma — November 13, 2007 @ 2:17 am

[…] 10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10 at pasteler0 (tags: linux software tips ubuntu) […]

27. Alp — November 13, 2007 @ 12:40 pm

Thanks for the listing. I’ve made some other suggestions in my blog: http://ubuntu.alperortac.de/2007/10/21/useful-programs-to-begin-with/

28. L0GiX — November 13, 2007 @ 5:36 pm

[…]   10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10 […]

29. James nealon — November 13, 2007 @ 6:27 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with those people who say that Automatix is a system breaker, as a noob long ago I fell into that trap and it took me quite some time to recover.

I love the guide, well done, well written and good advice for anyone.

30. Chris Collins — November 13, 2007 @ 7:11 pm

You forgot to add a firewall, I use fire starter. An excellent GUI for a beginner.
    fire starter web page

31. Shivers — November 14, 2007 @ 1:47 am

I had ubuntu and had it working for 3 weeks but then I could not get back into xp then my system crashed hard. after down loading it and get it working can you remove xp and have just ubuntu. I am a newbyie.

32. Pasteler0 — November 14, 2007 @ 8:41 am

@Shivers I you can use gparted to format the partition where windows is, then edit the grub to only boot in ubuntu. You can google for help you’ll probably find something

33. Rebenga — November 14, 2007 @ 11:28 am

@Chris Collins:

That is a mostly useless suggestion. Ubuntu doesn’t ship with anything listening on any ports, there’s no attack-vector which is why there’s no firewall installed by default. This is not Windows where there’s hundreds of RPC’s listening and being potential security issues.

Sure, you can install Firestarter (which is just a front-end for the powerful yet difficult IPtables) if it makes you happier, but this is mostly an empty gesture.

34. evo — November 14, 2007 @ 5:21 pm

ubuntu comes locked down to begin with. there are no open ports. ports are only opened when a command requires it and it gets shut poste haste afterwards. even azureus [which i no longer use] requires you to set up a file that edits the iptable just to get the ports open. in the end, i still couldnt get the bastage to connect.

35. Micha — November 15, 2007 @ 4:37 pm

Well I enjoyed everything right untill I tried to install the flashplugin-nofree, no i can’t install anything on my system, all i get is dpkg interrupt error, I type the config command and it goes back to the install process for flash and just hangs. I was really enjoying ubuntu untill i hit the wall, Can this be fixed, can i start over an reinstall ubuntu on top of itself, will i ever be about to use flash on a linux system. lol this sucks i would love some help or comments, i have already read countless forms about this problem and can’t find any fixes

36. lonely_1 — November 16, 2007 @ 1:09 am

@Micha:

I suggest using PCLOS instead of Ubuntu.

37. mikeize — November 17, 2007 @ 9:25 pm

re: #10,

nice to know, but i found that uninstalling a program this way left the applications menu entry, which i could not figure out how to get rid of! so i reinstalled the program, and then uninstalled it through “add/remove programs” and it took the menu entry with it.

also, does this command only work for software available/installed through my synaptic repos, or can i uninstall something i compiled myself/found the .deb file online?

nice list, btw

-mike

38. DanielAndrade — November 17, 2007 @ 11:01 pm

Hey mike, for removing a programs you can use

sudo apt-get remove PROGRAM

and

sudo aptitude remove PROGRAM

for removing configuration files as well:

sudo apt-get remove –purge PROGRAM

and

sudo aptitude purge PROGRAM

Hope it will help! ;)

39. Scott — November 18, 2007 @ 2:37 am

It’s “Software”, not “Softwares”.

40. Pepe — November 18, 2007 @ 4:07 am

Thanks for the ten things. I found this very helpful. I was struggling on how to get the most current version of Java installed and the list helped me. By the way I prefer the command line over the synaptic manager.

41. What’s new and exciting? » Blog Archive » Upgradeing to Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy — November 18, 2007 @ 9:30 am

[…] Here’s a blog about cool things to do after you upgrade or install Gutsy.  http://www.ovelha.org/pasteler0/2007/11/10/10-things-to-do-just-after-installing-ubuntu-710/ […]

42. Ubuntu Life » Blog Archive » Actualizar a Ubuntu Gutsy. !Menudo desastre!... — November 18, 2007 @ 8:47 pm

[…] En este punto y ya con conexion a Internet, decido instalarme unas cosillas de acuerdo a la guia: 10 cosas para hacer despues de instalar Ubuntu 7.10 […]

43. Victor Narynskyyi — November 19, 2007 @ 2:42 am

Hi there!

For some reason when installing the fonts, the terminal does not recognize “Y”???? Any ideas? Here is the code:

0 upgraded, 22 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 23.0MB/23.1MB of archives.
    After unpacking, 51.8MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
    Abort.
    vico@vico-laptop:~$

Thanks!

44. Fabio — November 19, 2007 @ 10:06 am

Just want to say thank you helped allot.

45. Luke — November 20, 2007 @ 12:01 pm

Running uTorrent under Wine gives me better speeds than Deluge or _any_ other BT client I tried so far.

46. DanielAndrade — November 20, 2007 @ 6:47 pm

@Luke, yes uTorrent under linux works very well also, here both do fine. I can get over 1mb/s with deluge at my university. But you use the one you think it’s better! :)

And may the force be with you ^^

47. Pasteliryan — November 21, 2007 @ 3:23 pm

I don’t think you need to do all this in Windows. You have to install software by hand? That’s what you did last century. That’s too arcaic.

48. » 10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10 Biker|Geek: Random thoughts of a Harley Davidson riding biker geek. — November 21, 2007 @ 11:57 pm

[…] read more | digg story […]

49. Optimizando Ubuntu: algunas cosas que hacer tras instalar Ubuntu at tech4ppc — November 22, 2007 @ 6:25 am

[…] fuente: DanielAndrade.net […]

50. bungle — November 22, 2007 @ 11:34 pm

cheers buddy – this is good for people like me who often install and reinstall OS’es… its also worth checking out AptOnCD especially for those with limited internet access.

51. UbuntuRoger — November 23, 2007 @ 10:16 pm

Pasteler0, thanks for your blog. We know ymmv and all that, but your blog drew together some really interesting variety of opinions and suggestions, and things to investigate. I read the same complaint and caveat about Automatix elsewhere. The ubuntu-restricted-extras contributed tip was excellent, and I saw also that Ubuntu did search for uninstalled codecs when it encountered a file that Totem couldn’t play. I’m still trying to find out why some of my old WMVs show so many artifacts. (Maybe my Legacy nVidia, or old Delta DC-770 monitor, or the W32codecs but if you have suggestions, please email me.)

Dave Nofmeister, you saved $800+ over Vista + Office 2007! Me too!

Scott, I’ve noticed that Americans (I, too) say “software,” while those over the big pond tend to say, “softwares,” like they say “maths” (mathematic*s*) instead of “math.” They also put the trailing period outside the quotation marks, which actually make more sense. But I Am America (And So Can You,) so I leave my periods alone.

52. adam — November 27, 2007 @ 5:15 pm

Transmission is the BEST bit torrent client!!!!

53. Narco — December 2, 2007 @ 9:05 pm

Thank you for the help. This gave the most direct and helpful advise I could find. None of this was technical, it was all just “do this and it will work” stuff. I just wanted to say thank you for the help. You rock!

54. pranab — December 3, 2007 @ 11:13 pm

Great job. A very useful TODO list for newbies, and thanks for
    giving the command line method of getting things done. The computing
    world today is in a pathetic state cos .. ppl along the way just got
    too lazy..and stopped caring enough to do it the command line way.

Its funny that there are posts that give ways to dumb down the process
    even further. There are enough already in the Unix/Linux world who
    think using Ubuntu is brain rot… well too bad I guess. Ubuntu is the
    best system yet.

Cheers.

55. Steve Kinney — December 4, 2007 @ 6:38 pm

Thanks for the pointers! I’m kinda past most of them (been on Ubuntu for just over a year now), but it’s great to see this and other community support going strong – that’s one of the main reasons to pick Ubuntu over other major flavors of Linux.

Automatix = bad thing. It took me a week to undo the damage. EasyUbuntu = good thing. Installs and configures most “unfree” plugins and codecs needed by most users, never heard of it hosing a system.

Firestarter = very good thing. Open up listening ports as/when required, for instance to support P2P file transfer software.

Very necessary: Install the KDEbase package, so you can run programs intended for the K Desktop Environment under the (default) Gnome desktop without major snags/hassles. Nothing changes visibly, but a lot of things will start working that otherwise don’t.

One of the problems with Linux is that there are literally too many programs to choose from, and they range in quality from “fully professional” to “they should never have released this useless unfinished junk”. So, here are a few suggestions for “default programs”, stuff that I have settled on as best-of; as always YMMV:

The best BitTorrent program is KTorrent. A few months ago an update came out that broke KTorrent on my system (rare event for Linux), and I ended up trying everything else I could find. Azureus was great, but as with many complex Java programs, it was a slow unreliable resource hog (YMMV). uTorrent running under Wine was the best alternative I could find – but I deleted it the day another update fixed KTorrent for me.

Speaking of Java, I had endless problems until I completely uninstalled the default “free” clone of Java and replaced it with Sun JRE 6. So far, it has worked perfectly.

CD/DVD burner: K3B. Meets or beats the standards set by the best commercial ones for Win32.

Word processing: I dumped everything else and installed Open Office. Beware: If you edit and save documents in MS Word format over and over, they can eventually break. But if you convert them at once to .odt format, you can edit them endlessly – just remember to convert your documents to PDF or Word format (under “save as”) before sending them off to Windows inmates!

Media players:

Kaffeine has the best all-around feature set, but occasionally encounters a video file it can’t play, and just stops if it reaches a file in the playlist that is broken or missing.

VLC will play almost any audio or video file, and installing it brings in some codecs that EasyUbuntu missed. Its playlist has very annoying quirks.

XMMS is my own drug of choice for playing audio files; it does not have tons and tons of extra features, but everything it does have works perfectly here. (As of this writing, the latest update of the FLAC codec fails in XMMS; my solution was to roll back to the previous version via Synaptic:
    Select the FLAC codec, go to Package > Force Version, then Package > Lock Version).

Graphics:

The default “image viewer” for Ubuntu sucks. GQView and Gwenview don’t – try both. digiKam is
    an excellent digital photo manager.

You already have the GIMP for photo retouch and
    other “raster image” work – it is well worth learning, I have earned a living with it. For vector images, try Inkscape – the tutorial in the Help menu rules, it’s an svg file with examples that you edit as you read.

For wasting time, I have found these games to be highly addictive:

AisleRiot (solitaire)
    LBreakout (making new levels is half the fun)
    Critical Mass (Galaga-plus, with mouse, on steroids)
    Kobo Delux (excellent 1980s arcade “twitch game”)
    Frozen Bubble (original arcade game “for kids”)
    Planet Penguin Racer (3D downhill in the snow)
    TuxKart (3D racing game “for kids”)

If an arcade type game is just too small to play, check the program’s configuration menu carefully: Most start out tiny by default, but can be set to run in full screen at your monitor’s full resolution.

On the command line:

New users will miss a lot if they buy into the myth that there’s something scary or difficult about using the command terminal. Here are examples of simple programs that demonstrate the power of the terminal:

iptraf – Shows all connections and traffic to and from your machine in real-time. Runs in a keyboard driven GUI (“curses”), just fire it up and start poking around. Command: sudo iptraf

whois – Shows who owns any URL or IP address, complete with business address and contact info. (The Windows equivalent is useless because it does not know which servers to query for the info.) Command: whois [domain-name], or whois [IP-address]

mtr – “My Traceroute”, shows the path from your machine to any other on the ‘net. Identify and diagnose connection problems in a heartbeat. 10x faster than the Win32 equivalent. Command: mtr [IP-address]

ffmpeg – Converts almost any audio or video file format to almost any other: For instance, YouTube
    flv files to avi files. Fast and flexible. Example:
    ffmpeg -i example.flv example.avi

Note: Install nautilus-open-terminal to get convenient command line access to any directory; it adds a right-click context menu item for the said function.

56. DanielAndrade — December 5, 2007 @ 7:11 am

Steve Kinney, amazing comment! Thanks for sharing :)

57. TOTALFUNWORLD.COM — December 7, 2007 @ 11:35 am

Great info, Thanks for sharing this with us.

58. joseph — December 7, 2007 @ 12:13 pm

hello i need help !
    i have windows xp on my pc and have like 3 hard disks !
    and i want to install ubuntu on one of my hard disk i get the cd and i reboot my pc and i click on start-install ubuntu …. it gave me this :

udevd-event [2225]: run-program ‘/slim/modprob’ abnormal exit

busybox v 1.13 (Debian 1:1.1.3 – 5ubunto7) Builit_in Shell (ash)
    enter (help) for a list of Built-in comand

what should i do ?

59. redtower.org » Blog Archive » 10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10 — December 10, 2007 @ 1:45 am

[…] life much better. This tutorial explains 10 things you should do just after installing ubuntu 7.10read more | digg […]

60. kev — December 13, 2007 @ 11:21 am

@joseph:

sounds like you either a) have a bad ISO (it happens sometimes), and might need to download a new ISO, reburn, and retry; or b) one of your windows disks is uber sad, try running chkdsk on it to repair any errors that are found. Which solution works actually depends on when you get this error though.

Are you able to get the live image to boot into gnome (or KDE if that’s what you use)?

61. Mike — December 13, 2007 @ 5:09 pm

Good tips overall. Was browsing the comments and I just have to say:

For those who complain about the command-line … if it bothers you, then you shouldn’t run any variant of Unix. No matter how “desktop ready” people claim Linux/BSD/Unix to be, you’ll still have to manually edit a config file or type a command once in awhile. If that’s too scary for you, then do us all a favour and go back to whatever operating system you were comfortable in.

That being said, if you take the time to actually type a thing or two you might start to understand *how* your computer works, which will make you less reliant on tech support in the future. Not only that, it opens up a whole world of customization possibilities. Additionally, if you’re looking for a job in tech, actually *knowing* command-line kung-fu can net you tens of thousands of dollars more per year.

62. Ranjeet — December 14, 2007 @ 7:15 am

The good old terminals….that come via inittab are missing….rather whole inittab is missing.

Part of my work is to write programs on framebuffer….so ctrl-Alt-F1 was kinda handy..

Any ideas why Ubuntu 7.10 got rid of it?

63. kahvipapu | 10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10 — December 16, 2007 @ 1:43 pm

[…] are still make tweaks you can do just after installing it that will make Ubuntu shine like never. I will explain here some things I do just after have ubuntu installed. 13 Places To Watch TV Online for […]

64. James — December 17, 2007 @ 11:37 am

I would like to add a few things:

Conky – “which is a light-weight system monitor under active development”

Tilda – “a Linux terminal taking after the likeness of many classic terminals from first person shooter games, Quake, Doom and Half-Life (to name a few), where the terminal has no border and is hidden from the desktop until a key is pressed.”

Catfish – “Catfish is a handy file searching tool for linux and unix. Basically it is a frontend for different search engines (daemons) which provides a unified interface”

I am fairly sure you can find these on the main repos.
    If not, you are going to have to learn to compile someday…

65. Bryan — December 19, 2007 @ 3:02 pm

I found 7.10 to be very buggy compared to 6.09, I’ve been using Debian for many years now, and I was a little displeased with Ubuntu 7.10, Tho I was very pleased with 6.09. The suggestions in this blog however are great suggestions whether not what version of Ubuntu you are using. Thanks!

66. thegnu — December 19, 2007 @ 3:20 pm

DO NOT USE AUTOMATIX! Use EasyUbuntu if you’re going to use anything. Automatix jacks up some stuff by going about the changes the wrong way. You won’t notice anything wrong at first, but you will probably run into conflicts down the road.

If you NEED something that handles this stuff for you, use EasyUbuntu. There isn’t one for Gutsy yet, but if you google “easyubuntu on gutsy” and you get:
    that gives you a walkthrough.

Again, ask around on ubuntuforms.com before installing automatix. It’s a bad idea last time I checked. It broke my mom’s computer, anyway.

67. thegnu — December 19, 2007 @ 3:21 pm

Oh, and the complete list of commands to install easyubuntu on gutsy (because the dude at the link doesn’t explain it):

1. install easyubuntu, then run:

sudo sed s/edgy/gutsy/g /usr/lib/easyubuntu/packagelist-feisty.xml > /usr/lib/easyubuntu/packagelist-gutsy.xml
    cd /etc/easyubuntu
    sudo sed ‘s!! \
    deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free \
    \
    !g’ repos.xml

68. 10 saker att göra direkt efter installation av Ubuntu 7.10 : Bloggliv — December 25, 2007 @ 9:38 pm

[…] DanielAndrade har listat tio punkter att göra direkt efter installation av Ubuntu 7.10. Här är en mindre korrekt översättning (dvs med egna ändringar här och där); […]

69. I can’t believe I forgot these links « I’m Just an Avatar — December 29, 2007 @ 7:22 pm

[…] got her desktop set up I referred to two pages to try to remember all the post installation tasks, 10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10 and How to set up Compiz Fusion. She isn’t a Mac user so I haven’t given her Mac4Lin […]

70. farcalled — January 6, 2008 @ 10:04 am

@UbuntuRogerof

Native English speakers both sides of the pond say “software”.
    Some Europeans with a Latin language as L1 sprinkle unnecssary “s”‘s around saying softwares(s) and information(s) for example. This usage id incorrect. The logical abbreviation for “mathematics” is of course “maths” because mathematics is not a plural. As for periods trailing or otherwise, they are

71. farcalled — January 6, 2008 @ 10:11 am

@UbuntuRoger

(continuation – I don’t know how this Linux thing works)

–women have during a certain period of their lives. Writers have “full stops”.

Incidentally, I have great difficulty with the Synaptic thingy, not knowing what it is that is being installed. I much prefer the terminal “archaic” though it may be.

72. Evis — January 7, 2008 @ 2:32 am

#11 (In my case) Wonder why the parition in the installer has killed your RAID array and spend the next month trying desperatly to get the damn thing to work again before resigning yourself to the fact that your system’s been killed.

My first linux experience was not a happy one.

73. Aussie Flores — January 12, 2008 @ 4:09 pm

The site makes most interesting reading,excellent.
    Could you please advise if it is possile to run a CANON scanner LiDE500F on Gutsy 7.10 by any means at all. strated with Zilog Z80and now at 77years 6 months 13 days 5 hours no seconds… not counting.. you understand have finally
    escaped from windows xp.may it’s market.SHARE.. decrease.. but am stuck with using a second box just to run the scanner.
    advise if there is any way at all.Best RGS OZ.

74. Anonymous — January 15, 2008 @ 9:00 pm

You forgot #11: Get annoyed and reinstall Windows.

75. bayoujim — January 22, 2008 @ 3:18 pm

deviant topic but relevant:

I like this site and I like all the people who have posted, everyone seems to want to help each other, to share knowledge, to make things better.

I am new to Ubuntu/linux but not new to computers, started using mainframe systems in 1970 at work. Was the first or second person in Oklahoma to attach a mouse to his computer, Apple IIe. No hard drives, all command lines. At that time software was shared freely at the computer clubs.
    At that time I took the apple, windows mainstream path in order to help promote the use of personal computers in the home. Greedy people came in. Left Apple because of their greed, am leaving Windows because of their greed.

The point is I have made these choices in order to promote and keep computers in the home alive (for personal growth of all people). Linux is the next evolutionary path and cannot be stopped. Hello, we babyboomers are coming.

76. Joe — January 23, 2008 @ 4:19 am

Great guide. Thanks!

~Joe

77. Rebenga — January 24, 2008 @ 2:35 pm

@Xipietotec:

You said: also, you should not advising newbies to use apt-get as Apt-get is *deprecated*. Use sudo aptitude instead.

You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. Stop giving “advice” and talking out of your ass. Saying that “apt-get is deprecated, use aptitude instead” is as insightful as saying “roads are deprecated, use cars instead”.

It’s the same thing. Apt-get and aptitude are both front-ends to APT, the Advanced Packaging Tool used by Debian-derived distributions. Synaptic is also a front-end to this system, but in a GUI environment.

So do everyone a favour and just shut up already.

78. Matt — January 26, 2008 @ 2:44 am

I don’t know which font package it was, but it replaces Ubuntu’s default monospace font with an ugly, faded font. Ubuntu’s default is crisp and looks fine. I’m not ruling out the possibility of a nicer one out there, but whatever is installed by your suggestion is gross.

79. Michael Flowers — February 9, 2008 @ 3:13 am

Wow! You just saved me a ton of time! Thanks!

80. baracuda — February 10, 2008 @ 12:05 pm

Please remember that when installing Java, a license is needed to be agreed, the first time installing it.
    If installing via synaptic/adept, the “show details” drop down window is not open by default, and you may miss the agreement,hence you sit there as it is stalling,and you say “WTF?” and wait…

81. Dr Phil — February 12, 2008 @ 12:28 pm

Number 8 should be go outside and find a girlfriend before you’re in your 30’s.

82. Mark — February 14, 2008 @ 10:55 pm

Ubuntu doesn’t even work on my computer. I even checked the MD5 sum. Vista turned out to be lightening fast and bomb proof, despite what I was told, and Ubuntu can’t even be used. What a joke.

83. Law — February 24, 2008 @ 1:10 pm

@ Mark:
    “Vista turned out to be lightening fast and bomb proof”

You see – it was about there that I realised you were joking! lol

Trust me when I say, Vista is not lightening fast. The only way it could be called that is if somebody sold you a copy of XP and labelled it Vista.

It’s a shame Ubuntu doesn’t work on your PC, it’s a cool system. The only problem I’ve found is people aren’t willing to put the time into learning Linux that they do/did when learning Windows or osX. Those that are willing to often get confused by linux enthusiasts argueing about the best way to use it too (Synaptic vs Automatix vs terminal for example). Personally, I find Synaptic is good if I’m not sure of dependencies or the actual application name (nice search feature) – but terminal is the quickest and easiest way once you get to know the system.

84. Installing Ubuntu + 82% Problem & Solution | Moving to Open Source — February 25, 2008 @ 12:58 pm

[…] There are many lists of things to do right after you have installed Ubuntu. Here is on good one […]

85. Fox — February 25, 2008 @ 10:49 pm

Small error, when copying and pasting the * Gstreammer 0.10 plugins, a space is missing on the fourth line, where it reads gstreamer0.10-plugins-farsightgstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
    it should read
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-farsight gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
    small typo, but other than that, a very good guide.

86. What To Do After You Install Ubuntu 7.10 - Daniel Andrade's 10 Things | Matt Vapor's Blog — March 8, 2008 @ 11:19 am

[…] Well Daniel Andrade has written 10 great first steps on what to do once you have installed Ubuntu 7.10. […]

87. hugh — March 23, 2008 @ 11:26 pm

Just finished following your instructions when i happened upon ubuntu 8.0 installed 64 version and with acer 5320 laptop, hp psc1350 printer, sound, video card, found wireless but haven’t tested that yet. first time everything found and runs without any problems.

88. nvalias — March 26, 2008 @ 6:25 pm

ttf-georgewilliams breaks the default monospace font. Do not install it.

89. Anderson — April 21, 2008 @ 7:23 pm

Parabéns pela lista, havia quebrado a cabeça para descobrir como baixar um software que não estava no Synaptics, mas já havia conseguido. Seu artigo vai ajudar muitas pessoas nesse ponto. Agora estou seguindo os outros passos, realmente são muito boas dicas…

90. Anderson — May 10, 2008 @ 11:57 pm

Ao instalar no Ubuntu 8.04 os seguintes codecs não foram encontrados:
    libswfdec0.3
    gstreamer0.10-gl

Fora isso, tudo Ok…

91. FRANCIS — July 3, 2008 @ 8:17 pm

How do i install asteriskNow in ubuntu 8?

92. shubuntu — July 19, 2008 @ 3:57 pm

that was great. thanx a lot.

93. Ubuntu Ek Programlar « aklıma takılanlar — August 23, 2008 @ 5:08 pm

[…] Kaynak […]

94. Juan Janolo — November 21, 2008 @ 4:27 pm

thank you very much! Excellent tutorial.

95. santhosh — February 8, 2009 @ 9:40 am

great..

96. Ubuntu Time - Console Spot Forums - PSP DS PS3 Xbox 360 Wii XMB — February 12, 2009 @ 7:05 am

[…] doing anything I recommend you do everything listed in this link… 10 Things To Do Just After Installing Ubuntu 7.10 at DanielAndrade.net As far as themes go the best place there is is Eyecandy for your GNOME-Desktop – GNOME-Look.org […]

97. unbuntut — November 29, 2009 @ 8:10 am

windows is for humans pretending to be geeks. mac is for geeks pretending to be rockstars. linux is geeks pretending to be geeks. :)

98. hari — August 3, 2010 @ 7:06 am

hai,have just installed ubuntu 10.14 ….no possible way i can browse the net….the connections are intact ,its receiving and sending packets …any suggestion i would love to customize my ubuntu ,please help me out guys…

TrackBack URL